Thursday 1 March 2012

going shopping

‘Pop down to the shop for me, will you, Steven,’…..

IMG_2249

asked his Mum, ‘and buy six eggs…..

IMG_2235

five bananas…..

IMG_2236

four apples…..

IMG_2237

three oranges for the baby…..

IMG_2238

two doughnuts…..

IMG_2239

and a packet of crisps.’

IMG_2240

So he did.  He went to the grocer’s  and got the shopping.  But when he came out of the shop there was a bear.

IMG_2250

‘I want those eggs,’ said the bear.  ‘If you don’t give them to me, I will squeeze all the breath out of you!’

‘If I threw an egg up in the air, you are so slow I bet you couldn’t even catch it,’ said Steven.

‘Me slow!’ said the bear…..

IMG_2251

and Steven escaped – but there were only…..

IMG_2329

five eggs left.

IMG_2241

A bit further on, Steven met a monkey.

IMG_2252

‘Give me those bananas,’ said the monkey, or I’ll pull your hair.’

‘If I threw a banana onto that kennel over there, you are so noisy I bet you couldn’t get it without waking the dog,’ replied Steven.

‘Me noisy!’ said the monkey…..

IMG_2242

and Steven escaped – but there were only four bananas left.

IMG_2326

When Steven got to where there were some men digging up the pavement, he met a kangaroo.

IMG_2253

‘Give me those apples or I’ll thump you,’ said the kangaroo.

‘If I threw an apple over that tent, you are so clumsy I bet you couldn’t even jump over to get it,’ replied Steven.

‘Me clumsy!’ said the kangaroo…..

IMG_2254

and, you’ve guessed it; Steven escaped – but there were only three apples left.

IMG_2243

And so the story continued, and each time Steven escaped – but each time one thing was lost.  One orange…..

IMG_2244

one doughnut…..

IMG_2245

(he played his trick on a pig)

IMG_2255

and the crisps…..

IMG_2246

(he played his trick on an elephant).

IMG_2256

IMG_2324   

Anyway, Steven eventually got home…..

IMG_2257

but with rather less shopping than his mother had originally asked for.

IMG_2247

I wonder what he had for his tea…..

(The original story, The Shopping Basket, was written by John Burningham)

No comments:

Post a Comment